Wednesday 25 March 2015

Review: The Chimera Vector by Nathan M. Farrugia



The Fifth Column: the world’s most powerful and secretive organization. They run our militaries. They run our governments. They run our terrorist cells.

Recruited as a child, Sophia is a deniable operative for the Fifth Column. Like all operatives, Sophia’s DNA has been altered to augment her senses and her mind is splintered into programmed subsets.

On a routine mission in Iran something goes catastrophically wrong. Bugs are beginning to appear in Sophia’s programming and the mission spins out of control.

High-speed chases, gun fights, helicopter battles, immortal psychopaths, super soldiers and mutant abilities are all in the mix in this edge-of-your-seat action-packed techno-thriller.



*

To be honest, I wasn't sure how I felt about this one until I finished it.

For military themed anything, I should have to work a bit to keep up with the tech, weapons and action scenes which I did in this book. It's not my forte and if I have a superior grasp of those aspects of the genre then it probably wasn't done well. In this case, I appreciated the tech/action aspects were well integrated in the story. Learned a lot, well done.

In terms of the characters, my favourites were Jay and Damien mostly due to their friendship. For me, that made them the most relatable of all and I cared the most about what happened to them and didn't like it when they were separated. I also liked Denton even though he's not supposed to be likeable. He seemed to have a conscience, as much as he could at least for what he is, when it came to Jay and Damien.

I also liked the whole concept of the book (super soldiers have a soft spot with me) and I felt the direct and blunt writing style definitely complemented the action scenes, which were non-stop.

All in all, continuing with the story. Hope to connect more with Sophia and keep up with Jay and Damien.

No comments:

Post a Comment